Category: Volcano Hike
Exclusive Sunrise Hike to Mount Agung Volcano
What You Can Expect
Catch the sun rising Over 3145 meters as you climb Bali’s Highest Mount Agung
For experienced climbers, fitness enthusiasts and mountain hikers, Gunung Agung is a challenge that will be relished. This three-kilometer trek is truly a physical effort.
Mt. Agung is the highest point in Bali. It is a stratovolcano that is measured at 3,031 meters. Unlike Batur that has an easy trail to follow, a guide is required to climb Mt. Agung. This mountain has a colossal spiritual importance to the people of Bali and is the home of the mother temple of Besakih. A local Balinese legend talks about how Agung was made by the Hindu God Pasupati from a piece removed from Mount Meru.
Departure is from 2 a.m. We provide head torches and wet weather gear. The hike to Agung starts at the holy Pasar Agung temple which is the highest temple in Bali. The climb to the top of Agung Volcano is usually done when the sun rises. Be ready to experience the most beautiful dawn you would ever see in Bali. You also enjoy the great morning vista of the Lombok, Nusa Penida Islands and most of Bali. The first part of the hike foes through the jungle. You’ll pass a tree line and cross the lava flows of the eruption of 1963. From this point, you can savor the amazing night sky of Bali.
Once the sun rises, the group says prayers at the top of this sacred mountain and have breakfast before climbing down. Plenty of water is also provided during the hike to keep the group hydrated always.
There are some times of the year and important days where climbing Mt. Agung is not allowed. It is recommended to confirm availability earlier. Hiking on Mt Agung is not advisable in the rainy season.
Two main routes are used to hike up to the top of Mt Agung
Route 1: Starting from the South from Puru Pasar Agung means you would start at the Pasar Agung Temple which is the highest temple in Bali at 1,700m. You will climb up to 1,500m via this route and this trail involves a 4-5 hour trek to the top.
Route 2: Starting from Besakih which is near the temple takes the climb time to 6-7 hours all night to get to the top
- Enjoy a more private route to climb Mount Agung (no crowds here!)
- Take in the spectacular sunrise from the summit!
- Go exploring with the best hiking guides from the Agung area
- Solo Travelers are more than Welcome to book with a Solo Traveler Add-On!
- Taste delicious breakfast on the volcano
- A special gift from Guided Trekking Bali
- 11:30 pm – 00:00 am: Hotel pick-up (depending on place of stay)
- 01:30 am: Arrive at the starting point
- 01:45 am: Short briefing. Trek Start
- 06:00 am: Arrival at the summit where we witness the spectacular view and sunrise. While there we will enjoy hot drinks and light snacks.
- 07:30 am: Begin our descent to Pasar Agung Temple, the finishing point of our trek.
- 11:30 am: Arrival at Pasar Agung Temple and boarding car
- 13:30 pm: Estimated time of arrival back to your hotel
What to Bring
- Trekking / Running Shoes
- Cash / Money
- Changing Shirt
- Small Towel
Please contact us for availability
- Hotel Pick-up and Drop-Off
- Trekking Guide
- Exclusive Breakfast
- Entrance Fees
- Hot Tea / Hot Coffee
- Parking Fee
- Trekking poles and torches/flashlights supplied if needed
- Raincoat (depend on weather condition)
- Extra Drinks
- Personal purchases
BOOK THIS TOUR
- 10.45 pm – 11.15 pm : Kuta, Seminyak, Nusa Dua, Candidasa, Lovina, Sidemen
- 11.15 pm – 11.30 am : Sanur Area
- 11.45 pm – 00.00 am : Ubud Area
- 10.45 pm – 11.15 pm am : Amed Area
- 11.45 pm – 00.00 am : Kintamani Area
- Not sure with your hotel area? CONTACT US FIRST
- Confirmation of availability will be received within 24 hours. Once confirmed, please present your booking receipt
- Deposit of US $20 per person is require for confirmation. PAY DEPOSIT HERE
- Cancellation at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- Cancellation between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- Cancellation within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.